Friday 24 October 2014

Buffalo buffalo ... and so on



UPDATE: I have created the comic strip that explains this. Yes, diagrams do help to visualise it. But then things went a little strange... It'll be on the blog next Tuesday.

There's just one thing that I want to tell you today...

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

But you probably knew that already, right?

Full explanation here - it really is a sentence, with nouns, verbs, subject and object and all that.

Reading the explanation bamboozled me - I had to go through it several times before it made any sense to me. Which made me wonder whether it could be explained more easily in a comic.

The improvised Graphic Novel is going to be partly about information theory, I wonder if I can sneak a few buffalo in.

The image above is of Tibetan Yak,  closest I could find in my sketchbook to Buffalo at short notice, I'm afraid. It's from a piece that I did a couple of years ago, called "The Bird Princess", that takes it's starting point with a fairly incomprehensible (to me) folk story from the Tibet/Nepal region, that touches on the process of westernisation that many parts of the world are undergoing, and the interweaving of modern and traditional ways of looking at the world. The pictures are a mixture of hand drawn, and stills captured from old public domain movies (with colours added by the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Gimp, of course). It's one of many strips in my new book (see sidebar)

No comments:

Post a Comment